Scarborough’s spa waters were discovered in 1626 and wealthy people came to “take the waters”. The waters were believed to have medicinal value. By 1760 lodging houses had been built. In 1845 a railway connection enabled people to ravel ot the area cheaply for a day. By the early twentieth century, many people were visiting for a week as a holiday.
Scarborough expanded rapidly Southwards. By 1915 no space was left between the sea and the scarp slope, so a new area to the North was developed. The resort started stagnating in the 1970’s as people could then afford to go on cheap holidays abroad to sunnier areas.